The predestination puzzle



Blogger Michael DeShane Hinton, M.Div. has proposed a startling way of escape from the predestination controversies of Protestantism: "The solution proposed by this study is that God ordains what happens but not who does it." Article here.

There are, I would say, points yet to be clarified in that idea. A line of questioning I would like to see explored more fully runs like this: God foreordains what happens, and God has perfect foreknowledge of what each of us will do. Is it too fine a distinction to say that does not constitute lockstep determinism in which God dictates each individual's choices? He already knows who will do what, and he set the plan in motion in which each of us will do so. In what way does that not determine our choices as an iron decree? Such a line of questioning calls us to examine the link between what God decrees and what he foreknows. How do they differ?

I am glad to see some fresh thinking on this old quandary. I have my own, different take on the question of what to do with predestination controversies, one which is, I think, not wholly incompatible with what Hinton proposes. In any case I recommend you read his article. I am usually in favor of revisiting arguments that caused schisms. Perhaps we followed the wrong trail at some point...

ETA: A discussion of Hinton's proposal has arisen on Facebook, here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reality, fantasy and ecumenism

Science versus religion is a phony issue

The new rules are killing us